EIT Health MSc. Health and Medical Data Analytics (HMDA)
Our highly selective Master’s study track started in the fall/winter semester 2019/20 and will be finished in December 2022 and intends to achieve greater integration of innovation and entrepreneurship skills within the study program. It is funded by the European MedTech consortium EIT Health and brings together four top-notch universities across Europe: Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM), Spain, Universidade de Lisboa (UL), Portugal, Université Grenoble Alpes (UGA), France, and Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU), Germany.
What is innovative about this program?
In contrast to traditional university education in engineering, the M.Sc. in Health and Medical Data Analytics aims to
- teach students data analytics for medical applications at 4 top-notch universities in Europe, giving them a chance to specialize in each institution’s key research areas,
- provide students with innovation and business skills in addition to their studies in medical data analytics. We teach students how to convert academic knowledge into a concrete business product or service, e.g. an app that helps patients to cope better with their disease or a database that helps hospitals provide better service to patients. Through our program, they learn how to identify market needs, come up with a technical solution for them and turn innovative ideas into real business opportunities. Our graduates possess the business skills to create their own start-up or work in the innovation department of companies,
- give students access to the biggest MedTech network in Europe by connecting them with the community of EIT Health.
Being part of the EIT Health network means easy access to support and funding for business ideas through their Accelerator and Innovation Projects programs.
- train students’ international mindset through a mandatory study abroad phase at one of the program’s partner universities,
- create practical experience and team skills through innovative teaching, i.e. hands-on, real-life projects and internships, in which academic knowledge is put into practice,
- connect students with Medtech companies and hospitals early on in their studies.
Application and selection process:
THE APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED
The targeted learners are students with technical Bachelor’s degrees and an interest in business creation who would like to pursue a Masters’s in HMDA at the partner universities. Students with an interdisciplinary background in medicine and engineering are also welcome to apply. Learners who will be able to start their studies every winter semester will be selected by submitting their CV, certificate, and transcript of records of a first technical academic degree, proof of English language proficiency at the B2 level (according to the Common European Framework for Languages) and a letter of motivation (in addition to the documents required by the different partner universities). All eligible applicants will be interviewed by teleconference, and selection will be based on the strongest transcripts (especially strong background in mathematics, computer science, and electrical engineering, project experience, and I&E motivation) – as specified in the Consortium Agreement:
- Suitability of acquired Bachelor’s degree: 20%
- Academic achievements (quality and recognition of home university): 30%
- Professional, extra-curricular and entrepreneurial experience: 25%
- General motivation and innovation potential (soft skills): 25%
Together, the partners will base their admission procedures on the same criteria.